1. Water Kefir Lemonade
- Make water kefir and remove the kefir grains.
- Add ¼ cup lemon juice to each quart of water kefir. Serve cold.
2. Orange Zest Water Kefir
- Add the kefir grains and several strips of organic orange zest (not the juice) to a standard batch of sugar water.
- Culture 24-48 hours.
- Remove and discard the orange zest.
- Remove the kefir grains and serve the finished water kefir cold.
3. Cream Soda Water Kefir
- Add 2-3 teaspoons vanilla extract per quart of water kefir. Serve cold.
4. Blueberry-Pomegranate Water Kefir
- Add ½ cup blueberry-pomegranate juice per quart of water kefir. Serve cold.
5. Raspberry Juice Water Kefir
- Add kefir grains to 1-2 quarts of organic raspberry juice.
NOTE: A longer fermentation period will yield a higher alcohol content due to the amount of sugar in the juice. Please use good judgment when serving cultured juice to children.
6. Fruit Flavored Water Kefir
- Add fresh or dried fruit to the water kefir. If using fresh fruit, change the fruit out every 24 hours. Dried fruit can be changed out as infrequently as once a week.
- Culture the fruit and kefir for 1-7 days.
- Remove and discard the fruit.
NOTE: Avoid adding fruits to the water kefir with the grains, as some fruits may be damaging to the grains. Slices of organic lemon or organic raisins with no added oil are the only exceptions and may be added to the initial ferment with the grains.
7. Grape or Apple Juice Water Kefir
- Add kefir grains to 1-2 quarts of organic grape or apple juice.
- Culture for 24-48 hours.
NOTE: A longer fermentation period will yield a higher alcohol content due to the amount of sugar in the juice. Please use good judgment if serving cultured juice to children.
8. Water Kefir “Soda”
- Culture 24-72 hours at room temperature before refrigerating.
Use caution when opening the bottle!
9. Coconut Water Kefir
- Add water kefir grains to 1-2 quarts coconut water.
- Culture for 24-48 hours before removing the kefir grains.
- Refresh the grains in a batch of sugar water after making coconut water kefir, to keep them healthy.
10. Herbal Infusion Water Kefir
- Mix 1 part finished water kefir to 1 part herbal infusion (e.g., nettle leaf, red raspberry leaf, etc.).
To make herbal infusions, combine a handful of fresh or dried herbs with one quart boiling water. Allow the herb and water mixture to sit for 6+ hours. Cool completely prior to mixing with finished water kefir.
BONUS! Water Kefir Smoothie
Use water kefir as the liquid base in your favorite smoothie recipe!